L example 2x2 hole in depth
- Disconnected left side results in less aggregate placements due to having four 2-high edges
- No vertical Z placement. Z on the right will open up options, but an S can cause instability as shown below:
- Five +1 adjacent height difference (AHD) patterns, a staircase/bumpy pattern that reduces options
- No vertical Z placement. Two Zs cause a nasty staircase pattern and do not allow placement for a third Z.
- Sustains S and Z combinations
- No staircase pattern
- Three 2-high edges instead of four
- Although not the ideal surface, a second L in both options result in an identical outcome that supports S- and Z-pieces as well as provides flatness for O- and J-pieces
S- and Z-pieces
The middle empty 2x2 cannot support S and Z combinations for long.
Both options result in challenging follow-ups when T comes.